Monday, March 16, 2009

Musing Mondays


Musing Mondays is hosted by Just One More Page

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about talking to strangers…

We were all warned as children to 'never talk to strangers', but how do you feel about book-talk with random people? When you see people reading, do you ask what it is? Do you talk to people in the book store or the library? Why or why not? What do you do if people talk to you? (question courtesy of Dena)


I am generally a rather shy person, I usually try not to bother people. People with books somehow seem a bit different, though. I would not interrupt someone who was intently reading a book--eyes darting from line to line, perched on the edge of their seat. I might, however, talk with someone who was reading something that I had read, or that I had heard about, or which looked interesting, if the person seemed to be taking a slight break from the book. Or if they had returned eye contact and seemed open to conversation. The same would be true with someone in a bookstore or library. I have a deep seeded, generational fear of inconveniencing or disturbing people, so I would have to be sure conversation was welcome.


As for myself, I am always happy to talk books, and all the better if it is with strangers. Fresh opinions and ideas possible. As long as they don't seem too creepy, or start following me.

6 comments:

Literary Feline March 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

It is fun to discuss books with others, isn't it? I am more likely to approach someone I know then someone I do not know, I admit. I don't mind being approached myself though--so if you ever see me reading, feel free to say hello. :-)

Roblynn March 16, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

If I see someone reading a book I have read I usually put in my dos colones. I just like a chance to talk about it with them. Maybe I am a little desperate for conversation hmmm?

Jenners March 16, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

I think your parameters make a lot of sense. You do need to observe to see if they might even be open. And another key is to keep it short and sweet and let them initiate any further conversation about the book after the initial inquiry.

zetor March 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

I love to chat about books with family and friends but am reluctant with strangers.

Anonymous,  March 16, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

It depends on what people are reading, if they're interested to talk, and most importantly, my mood. :)

Melissa March 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

I generally don't talk to random people either, but people with books are different. I love to talk to people in book stores or at FOL sales.

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP