Thursday, March 19, 2009

Booking Through Thursday Question of the week


This Weeks BTT :

“What’s the worst ‘best’ book you’ve ever read — the one everyone says is so great, but you can’t figure out why?”

I try not to remember really horrible books. Actually, I try not to read them in the first place. I have been reading enough books for enough years that I am generally able to tell if I will like a book before I read it--partly by what I hear about the book, partly by the synopsis, partly by the book cover, partly by the publisher--you begin to get a feeling for these things. There are still those books which baffle me with their mediocrity, or even if well written, just really should not have been.

Unfortunately I have a poor memory, which is why I started this blog, so that I could recall the books I have read and what I thought of them. Only one book would fall into this category that I have read since blogging, and I don't know that it would be considered a 'best' book. However, one of the 'best' awarded and lauded books which I really did not like, and could not finish even though I tried a number of times was The Sound and The Fury. Yes, I am sure that this is a brilliantly written novel, groundbreaking, an important work. Maybe I would feel differently if I finished it, but as it stands, I hated it.

9 comments:

Desert Rose March 19, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

I don't know the book and thanks to you, that's one book I will not add to my tbr :) thanx

Mary (Bookfan) March 19, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

Had to read several Faulkner books in college for a seminar. Probably would have liked it more if I hadn't felt pressure to get them all read!

Jeane March 19, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

Anything Faulkner is so confusing to me. I have yet to make it all the way through one of his books.

Jess March 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

I think that I will pass on The Sound and the Fury.

Anonymous,  March 19, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

I just don't get Faulkner. I didn't understand Sound and the Fury, and Absalom Absalom was a torture.

Da Vinci Code for me. It doesn't have any competitor.

Sherrie March 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM  

Hi!
I am not a Faulkner fan, so probably couldn't read this book. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great evening!

Sherrie

Nise' March 19, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

Have never been able to read Faulkner.

claire March 19, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Hi! I was excited reading your post because, like you, I don't remember utterly despising any book I've read because over the years I've developed a clear sense of the books I will and won't like. Also, when I start reading something and know I won't like them, I do not pursue, so I never actually get to read them. I didn't post about this week's meme, but if I did, I would answer The Sound and the Fury! Granted, I didn't finish it, but the part I did sounded like gibberish! Lol. :D

Penny March 19, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

Oh drat! I randomly picked this one for a challenge. I wonder if I can go back and change it now? :P

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP